TOWNSHIP OF WARWICK
Position Title: Public Works Heavy Equipment Operator – Part Time
REPORTABILITY: Public Works Manager and Public Works Team Leader
DIRECT REPORTS: None
This position is called into when needed, in a part time capacity (Emergencies, Vacation Coverage or Extra Staffing required). The position undertakes the day to day of the Public Works Department, including road maintenance, ditch and culvert maintenance, grass and weed maintenance, water readings, related construction activities, equipment maintenance and operation. The Heavy Equipment Operator – Part Time is responsible for operating all heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner. Heavy equipment may include, but is not limited to trucks, front end loaders, dozers, graders, snow blowers and other pieces of equipment. The Heavy Equipment Operator – Part time must also clean, maintain and secure all equipment as directed by the Team Leader. The Heavy Equipment Operator – Part Time must also deal with the members of the General Public in a courteous and respectful manner.
• Utilization of Township equipment within the safety standards, policies and procedures and regulatory requirements as established by the Township of Warwick.
• As directed, undertake the maintenance of equipment operated by or in use of the Township for any of its operational activities.
• Complete assigned tasks in regards to handwork, equipment utilization, movement of materials and supplies and related functions on a task by task basis.
• Report equipment maintenance, site safety, road hazards and other maintenance requirements and safety/emergency situations to the Team Leader and or Public Works Manager.
• Undertake the loading of trucks, storage areas, equipment, materials, etc. as required for Township materials and supplies, project and task activities, etc.
• As per Township procedures, complete timesheets and other equipment logs and other reporting requirements on a timely basis.
• Works alone or as part of a team to complete tasks.
• Complete deliveries, pickups and distributions as assigned.
• Operate in a way that ensures the safety of the public, fellow workers at all times.
• Complete assigned tasks within the Recreation Department if requested.
• Operate all Heavy Equipment is a safe and efficient way according to all relevant legislation, policies and procedures.
• Perform daily safety and maintenance tasks.
• Clean heavy equipment as scheduled and/or required.
1. A secondary school graduation or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
2. Experience of 1 to 2 years is an asset.
3. Demonstrated knowledge in the use of appropriate equipment such as Back Hoe, Grader, Tandem Truck, Bi Directional Tractor and Pick up Trucks.
4. Valid Ontario Driver’s Licence (DZ).
5. Ability to organize tasks, work alone and complete tasks on a timely and effective basis.
6. Courses in specified functions and/or equipment would be an asset (Grader Training, Back Hoe Training.)
The Heavy Equipment Operator – Part Time has a physically demanding job. He/she will be lifting pulling and managing heavy equipment and objects. The position works in all weather, and must be prepared for both extreme heat and cold. The Heavy Equipment Operator – Part Time must ensure that all activities are completed in a safe and efficient way.
The Township of Warwick provides reasonable accomodations throughout the hiring process. Reasonable accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the hiring process as required under the Township of Warwick’s policies and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).